For a real weeknight indulgence, dig in to this hearty, meatball-studded pasta bake, filled with gooey mozzarella and fresh green spinach.
Yield: 4 servings (cost per serving of $2.16)
- 12 oz. short pasta
- 3 c. baby spinach
- 1 large egg
- kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ c. fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 8 oz. Italian sausage
- 1 jar marinara sauce (we used low-sodium)
- 6 oz. part-skim mozzarella
- ½ c. part-skim ricotta
- Heat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, chop 1 cup spinach. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, 2 tablespoons of water, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic and parsley, then the bread crumbs and Parmesan. Let sit for 2 minutes. Add the beef, sausage, and chopped spinach and mix to combine.
- Form the meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls (about 20 total) and place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Toss the pasta with the marinara sauce. Fold in 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup of ricotta, then the remaining 2 cups of spinach and the meatballs. Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and dollop with the remaining 1/4 cup ricotta. Broil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Tips & Techniques
More recipes like this
From: Woman's Day